What are my website keywords?
Your website keywords are the search engine results you'd like your site to appear in. For example, if you sell hamsters in Hyde Park, you'd probably like your site to appear when someone Googles "pet stores Hyde Park", "hamster breeders Sydney" and "buy hamsters online". These would be your keywords.
What makes good website keywords?
- Be relevant - they should be as relevant as possible so that Googlers find exactly what they're looking for on your page.
- Be achievable – just because it's relevant, doesn't mean you'll be able to rank for it. Choosing a keyword with lower search numbers (like a long tail keyword) may give you a better chance of ranking for it.
- Be specific – if you sell hamsters in Hyde Park, make that a keyword. If you aim for "pets" you'll have a high bounce rate and a big wasted SEO and SEM budget. Also, plurals, adjectival or verbal forms may need to be included too.
- Be flexible – this keyword will need to go into your website text, words like cheap may have great search numbers but you don't want them on your site. Words that are hard to place in a sentence will also cause you problems. If you're using all geographical modifiers (hamsters Hyde Park, pets Hyde Park, pet store Hyde Park etc) it will make internal linking harder.
- Be convertible – choose some keywords that attract buyers too, not just browsers. "how to breed hamsters" will attract researchers; "buy hamster aphrodisiac online" will attract buyers.
- Be good to grow – have an immediate, a medium term and a long term keyword plan. Include keywords with high search numbers and competition in your copy – so that your site can "grow into them".
How do I choose my website keywords?
It's not as easy as it sounds, in fact it's a very complex task and not one that you want to get wrong! Choosing the wrong website keywords will mean poor website performance and hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars (or more) in wasted SEO budget and lost income. We do keyword research as part of our SEO copywriting service, our small business SEO packages and our online marketing packages. If you're game to give it a go yourself, the place to start is the Google Adwords Keyword Tool. Choosing your website keywords is the biggest SEO decision you'll make – good luck and may the force be with you.
Was this useful? If so, we'd love you to use the +1, like, inshare or tweet buttons at the top of the page. Share the Love!
Other quick answers: